Designed for people with minimal or no experience in the Tourism industry. Students gain an overview of the knowledge and skills required to succeed in the industry. Campus seminars, offsite industry visits, and Real World Experience are all part of the syllabus.
Want a job that lets you travel around the world, and meet exciting new people? Maybe help someone plan their holiday of a lifetime? Come and study Tourism at Crown! This entry-level course is designed for students with minimal or no prior experience in the industry. It gives you an overview of the knowledge and skills required to work in this field.
The class visits hotels and tourist attractions such as Kelly Tarltons, Auckland War Memorial Museum, and the Sky Tower. In addition, seminars by industry leaders and educational trips to popular tourist destinations will provide exposure to the industry. These will all contribute to 30 hours of ‘Real World Experience’, a core part of the course that all students need to complete in order to graduate.
This course will give you relevant knowledge and prepare you for employment upon graduation.
Face to face in a classroom setting, with elements of blended online learning.
3 May 2021 - 1 Oct 2021
8 Jun 2021 - 19 Nov 2021
26 Jul 2021 - 24 Dec 2021
30 Aug 2021 - 11 Mar 2021
18 Oct 2021 - 14 Apr 2022
8 Feb 2022 - 8 Jul 2022
14 Mar 2022 - 26 Aug 2022
2 May 2022 - 30 Sep 2022
19 Apr 2021 - 30 Apr 2021
12 Jul 2021 - 23 Jul 2021
4 Oct 2021 - 15 Oct 2021
27 Dec 2021 - 7 Feb 2022
16 years of age or older at course start date
Minimum NCEA Level 2 or Special Circumstances considered at discretion of Department Head.
Demonstrate appropriate literacy and numeracy levels
18 years of age or older at course start date
IELTS (General or Academic) 5.0 with no band lower than 5.0 (or NZQA approved equivalent)
3 years secondary school education or equivalent work experience
· Auckland War Memorial Museum
· Auckland Art Gallery
· SEA LIFE Kelly Tarlton’s Aquarium
· Stardome Observatory
· Sky Tower
· Rotorua overnight stay
This course also covers 30 hours of real world experience
Students are assessed through a mixture of written assessments, presentations and practical role plays.
• You will learn the skills needed by the companies who will hire you after you graduate.
• You work and earn money during your course.
• You attend Study & Work alongside your travel & tourism, hospitality or business course.
• Free professional training in employment skills and customer service from Function Staff, our Study and Work partners.
• Paid part-time employment with Function Staff during your course.
• Free 1-1 CV preparation, career advice and interview skills with Crown’s employment team.
• A standard reference will be included at the end of your program.
START ANOTHER CHAPTER OF YOUR JOURNEY
Find more employment
options at CareersNZ
A qualification in this course can lead to great jobs such as:
Students who successfully complete this course may wish to continue their studies in any of the following: