Designed for people with minimal or no experience in the Tourism industry. Students gain an overview of the knowledge and skills required to succeed in the industry. Campus seminars, offsite industry visits, and Real World Experience are all part of the syllabus.
Want a job that lets you travel around the world, and meet exciting new people? Maybe help someone plan their holiday of a lifetime? Come and study Tourism at Crown! This entry-level course is designed for students with minimal or no prior experience in the industry. It gives you an overview of the knowledge and skills required to work in this field.
The class visits hotels and tourist attractions such as Kelly Tarltons, Auckland War Memorial Museum, and the Sky Tower. In addition, seminars by industry leaders and educational trips to popular tourist destinations will provide exposure to the industry. These will all contribute to 30 hours of ‘Real World Experience’, a core part of the course that all students need to complete in order to graduate.
This course will give you relevant knowledge and prepare you for employment upon graduation.
Face to face in a classroom setting, with elements of blended online learning.
31 Jan - 30 Jun 2023
6 Mar - 18 Aug 2023
24 Apr - 22 Sep 2023
29 May - 27 Oct 2023
17 Jul - 15 Dec 2023
21 Aug 2023 - 8 Mar 2024
9 Oct 2023 - 12 Apr 2024
7 Apr - 21 Apr 2023
3 Jul - 14 Jul 2023
25 Sep - 6 Oct 2023
18 Dec 2023 – 2 Feb 2024
16 years of age or older at course start date
Minimum NCEA Level 2 or Special Circumstances considered at discretion of Department Head.
Demonstrate appropriate literacy and numeracy levels
18 years of age or older at course start date
IELTS (General or Academic) 5.0 with no band lower than 5.0 (or NZQA approved equivalent)
3 years secondary school education or equivalent work experience
· Auckland War Memorial Museum
· Auckland Art Gallery
· SEA LIFE Kelly Tarlton’s Aquarium
· Stardome Observatory
· Sky Tower
· Rotorua overnight stay
This course also covers 30 hours of real world experience
Students are assessed through a mixture of written assessments, presentations and practical role plays.
• You will learn the skills needed by the companies who will hire you after you graduate.
• You work and earn money during your course.
• You attend Study & Work alongside your travel & tourism, hospitality or business course.
• Free professional training in employment skills and customer service from Function Staff, our Study and Work partners.
• Paid part-time employment with Function Staff during your course.
• Free 1-1 CV preparation, career advice and interview skills with Crown’s employment team.
• A standard reference will be included at the end of your program.
START ANOTHER CHAPTER OF YOUR JOURNEY
Find more employment
options at CareersNZ
A qualification in this course can lead to great jobs such as:
Students who successfully complete this course may wish to continue their studies in any of the following: