This course will give you all the skills you need to begin your hospitality career. Barista, cocktail making, professional wine and table service are just some of the topics covered. Knowledge about legislation, food safety, and industry’s standard operating procedures are also core components of the course. Students also complete the licence controller qualification (LCQ) which authorises them to manage a workplace that sells alcohol.
Come and join New Zealand’s hospitality industry! This course will give you the skills to hit the ground running. You will learn practical skills such as making coffee and cocktails, gain knowledge about food safety, wine and beer (with an emphasis on New Zealand wines). We will also cover the legislation that will be applicable to you in hospitality, and the health and safety aspects that are crucial to working effectively and without injury. You will complete the license controller qualification (LCQ), which enables you to work as a manager in any businesses that sells alcohol.
This programme is designed for people looking to enter the hospitality industry with no prior knowledge or experience. We take class trips to restaurants, hotels and food festivals to see new trends in the industry.
You will need to complete an internship of 40 hours during this course, we can help you organise this through our strong links to the industry.
Face to face in a classroom setting, with elements of blended online learning.
9 Feb 2021 - 9 Jul 2021
15 Mar 2021 - 27 Aug 2021
3 May 2021 - 1 Oct 2021
8 Jun 2021 - 19 Nov 2021
26 Jul 2021 - 24 Dec 2021
26 Aug 2021 - 11 Mar 2022
18 Oct 2021 - 14 Apr 2022
19 Apr 2021 - 30 Apr 2021
12 Jul 2021 - 23 Jul 2021
4 Oct 2021 - 15 Oct 2021
27 Dec 2021 - 7 Feb 2022
18 years of age at course start date. (16 and 17 years of age must provide written permission from parent/caregiver)
Minimum NCEA Level 2 or Special Circumstances considered at discretion of Department Head.
Demonstrate appropriate literacy and numeracy levels
18 years of age or older at course start date
IELTS (General or Academic) 5.0 with no band lower than 5.0 (or NZQA approved equivalent)
3 years secondary school education or equivalent work experience
· Hotel familiarisation visits (famils)
· Restaurant & Cafe dining experiences
This course also covers 40 hours of real world experience
Students are assessed through a mixture of written assessments, presentations and practical role plays.
· Licence Controller Qualification
• You will learn the skills needed by the companies who will hire you after you graduate.
• You work and earn money during your course.
• You attend Study & Work alongside your travel & tourism, hospitality or business course.
• Free professional training in employment skills and customer service from Function Staff, our Study and Work partners.
• Paid part-time employment with Function Staff during your course.
• Free 1-1 CV preparation, career advice and interview skills with Crown’s employment team.
• A standard reference will be included at the end of your program.
START ANOTHER CHAPTER OF YOUR JOURNEY
Find more employment
options at CareersNZ
A qualification in this course can lead to great jobs such as:
Students who successfully complete this course may wish to continue their studies in any of the following: