Auckland is New Zealand’s biggest city, it offers a good balance of nature and city life. Being a multi-ethnic city, Auckland has an inclusive environment where students from around the world can learn and experience different cultures.
Our campus is located in the heart of Auckland CBD – a 5-minute walk from Britomart (a central hub with train station, bus stops, restaurants and shops). Our campus features facilities such as multi-use event centre, mock cabin crew training centre, a hotel reception area and a café! Crown also organises a range of exciting activities that all students can participate in, such as Sports Days, Language Weeks, and other festive events!
Crown offers NZQA approved and accredited programmes from Level 3 to Level 5 (Certificate to Diploma level). Additionally, Crown offers special programmes that focus on experiential learning that includes a mixture of classroom learning and internships. It will allow you to acquire industry knowledge, improve your English, and gain understanding of the workplace.
We are an NZQA Category 3 registered and accredited school. You can read more here.
International students must meet the requirements of the appropriate visa to study in New Zealand. If an international student is wanting to study for less than 12 weeks, a visitor visa can be used to enter and study in New Zealand. If an international student is wanting to study for more than 12 weeks, a student visa will be needed to enter and study in New Zealand. It is important to apply for the necessary visa type as soon as possible as the application process may take a number of weeks to process.
To apply for a student visa, an international student must first be enrolled in an accepted course at a certified educational institution. Once accepted, the student can apply for the visa via an online application form found on the Immigration New Zealand webpage. Some documents that are required for the student visa application include offer of place, receipt of tuition fees paid, passport photos, among other important items. Please click on the link below for more information on visa application.
The cost of living in Auckland might be very different from your home country.
As part of your student visa application, you’ll need to have $15,000 (NZD) per year available for living costs, this is above the cost of your tuition.
You can use Immigration New Zealand’s cost of living calculator below to get a better idea of how much it costs to live in New Zealand:
Visit Study in New Zealand’s Cost of Living page to learn more:
Milk (2 liters)
White bread (sliced, 600g)
Rice (Long grain, 1kg)
Hot Chocolate (from cafe)
Meat Pie (from Dairy)
Transportation (Bus and Train – 1 zone)
$4.5 – $5
$3.5 – $5
$1.55(Using AT Hop card)
$50 – $85
$150 – $200
Milk (2 liters) – $3.5
White bread (sliced, 600g) – $1.2
Rice (Long grain, 1kg) – $1.8
Butter (500g) – $5.5
Hot Chocolate (from cafe) – $4.5 – $5
Meat Pie (from Dairy) – $3.5 – $5
Transportation (Bus and Train – 1 zone) – $1.55
Doctor visit – $50 – $85
Dental visit $150 – $200
International students are not entitled to publicly funded services provided by the New Zealand Government. As a condition of study visa international students must purchase a comprehensive medical and travel insurance policy, and it must be sighted and approved by Crown.
International students’ insurance must cover:
1. Your travel to and from New Zealand, including your travel to and from your country of origin or citizenship before your educational instruction begins and after it ends which may be outside of the enrolment period;
2. Your travel within New Zealand; and
a. If the travel is part of the educational instruction, outside of New Zealand; and
3. Medical care in NZ, including diagnosis, prescription, surgery, and hospitalisation; and
4. Your repatriation or expatriation as a result of serious illness or injury, including cover of travel costs incurred by your family members assisting your repatriation or expatriation; and
5. Your death, including cover of –
a. Travel costs of family members to and from NZ; and
b. Costs of repatriation or expatriation of the body; and
c. Funeral expenses
International students who make their own insurance arrangements must provide evidence of their insurance cover; it must include cover for all of the above incidents; and it must be written in English.
We can arrange insurance for you. Uni-Care is Crown’s preferred Travel Insurance Provider because their cover meets the insurance requirements as set down in the Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of Practice 2016.
Browse their website to learn more:
Pursuant to NZ government student fee protection requirements, the full value of your outstanding fees is protected in an approved trust fund. Trustee: HMT Group.
1. Courses of three months or more
If the course is of three months duration or more and the withdrawal occurs up to the end of the tenth working day after the first day on which Crown requires you to attend the classes, you will be entitled to receive a full refund less a deduction for costs incurred by Crown, up to a maximum of 25% of fees paid.
If your visa is declined before entering New Zealand and you have paid all tuition fees, your fees will be refunded in full, less NZD 250 (Course Registration Fee).
(As per section 235A (1) (a) and (b) of the Education Act and as set out in the Education (Refund Requirements for International Students) Notice 2012)
2. Courses of five weeks or more but less than three months
If the course is of five weeks or more but less than three months and the withdrawal occurs up to the end of the fifth day after the start of the course, you will be entitled to receive a full refund less a deduction for costs incurred by Crown, up to a maximum of 25%.
3. Courses shorter than 5 weeks
If your course is shorter than 5 weeks, you may withdraw up until the end of the second day and receive a refund of 50% of any amount paid. However, if two days constitutes the full amount of tuition paid for by the student, the PTE may retain 100 per cent of the payment.
(As per section 235A (1) (C) and (d) of the Education Act.
4. If you cancel all or part of your course after the refund period, you will not be entitled to a refund and Crown may retain 100% of tuition fees for the cancelled weeks.
5. The refund period ends at 5:00 pm on the tenth working day of your course. If you cancel your course within the refund period, you must return in good condition any textbooks and equipment you have received.
6. Cancellation of your course in the event of financial problems at Crown: The full value of your outstanding tuition fees is protected in an audited trust fund. In the unlikely event that Crown could not deliver your course, you would receive a full refund of all outstanding fees, or have these transferred to one of our partner institutions to enable you to complete your course.
7. All withdrawals, cancellations and course change requests must be received by Crown in writing. Cancellation and course change forms are available from Student Services, Crown Institute, 3rd floor, 80 Anzac Avenue, Auckland (email@example.com)
8. If your fee was received by Crown from a Crown retailer then any refund will be made to that Crown retailer. Unused homestay fees may be refunded directly to you.
9. If you pay by Credit Card (either directly or through a Crown retailer) and cancel your course, the refund amount will have the merchant fee deduction included.
Homestays are a great way to introduce an international student to the New Zealand lifestyle. Students will be exposed to the Kiwi culture and it can be one of the ways to improve English ability and get involved with the local community. Crown will arrange homestay arrangement for each individual international student, considering personal accommodation requirements such as medical conditions, allergies, hobbies, among others to find the best match between student and homestay family. The two different types of homestay accommodation Crown provides is called Homestay and HomestayPlus. Although there are other accommodation options that you can arrange individually, we recommend using Crown homestay to simplify the whole process. Transfer between airport and homestay is also available.
*All Crown homestay options include the internet, 2 meals on weekdays, and 3 meals on weekends.
*Homestay arrival/departure is Friday – Sunday only
*HomestayPlus includes private bathroom