Immigartion and Student Visa Info

How to know what type of visa I need?

International students must meet the requirements of the appropriate visa to study in New Zealand.

  • Less than 12 weeks, a visitor visa can be used to enter and study in New Zealand.
  • More than 12 weeks, a student visa will be needed to enter and study in New Zealand.

It is important to apply for the necessary visa type as soon as possible as the application process may take a number of weeks to process.

To apply for a student visa, an international student must first be enrolled in an accepted course at a certified educational institution. Once accepted, the student can apply for the visa via an online application form found on the Immigration New Zealand webpage. Some documents that are required for the student visa application include offer of place, receipt of tuition fees paid, passport photos, among other important items.


Check your visa conditions

If you are allowed to work, your work rights will be recorded in your eVisa or the visa label in your passport, or explained to you in a letter.
If you work when you are not allowed to, you will be in breach of your visa conditions. If this happens you may have to leave New Zealand

Full-Time Work

Your visa conditions will allow you to work full-time during scheduled breaks in study if all of these apply:

  • You are studying full-time for at least 1 academic year.
  • Your course is worth at least 120 credits.
  • Your course is delivered over a period of at least 8 months (minimum two semesters)

Your visa conditions will allow you to work full-time during the Christmas and New Year holiday period if:

  • You are studying full-time.
  • Your course has a minimum duration of 2 semesters during a period of at least 8 months.

Part-Time Work

Your visa conditions will allow you to work up to 20 hours a week if you are doing a full-time course that fall into one or more of this categories:

  • Is at least 2 academic years in duration.
  • Is at least 1 academic year in duration and part of an approved tertiary student exchange scheme.
  • Results in a New Zealand qualification which gains points under the Skilled Migrant Category.
Work with student visa

Let's embark on this journey together!